Table of Contents
- Best Dog Food For Huskies
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Huskies are a highly energetic breed of dog. Traditionally, these are considered to be a working dog, so it’s important to ensure that they are getting the right balance of nutrition and exercise.
If you are exercising your husky regularly, you’ve got that one covered. But what about when it comes to their meal times?
Your husky will need a good quality food made using a high quality source of protein. This is to help them maintain the lean muscle that they need to stay happy and healthy.
A husky that has the right dog food in their bowl daily will be a very happy husky indeed! But when there are so many different types of dog food available on the market, how can you find the best dog food for huskies?
Finding a high quality dog food for your husky is no easy task. There are so many different products to choose from.
So we’ve done all of the hard work for you and selected the 5 best dog foods for huskies that the market has to offer.
We’ve researched and reviewed hundreds of products to find the best of the best, so you can rest assured that all of the dog foods that we have reviewed in more detail below will be the perfect fit for your husky.
Best Dog Food For Huskies
Out of all the dog foods that we tested for huskies, the Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food easily came out on top. This particular dog food comes with a range of features that your husky will love.
What we really loved about this dog food when we tested it is that it makes use of real meat as the first ingredient. This ensures that your husky gets the high quality protein that they need to maintain lean muscle mass.
A handy feature of this dog food is that it contains a proprietary blend of Blue Buffalo’s LifeSource Bits. This is a careful blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which work to give your husky the fully balanced diet that they need.
The Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food is available in multiple sizes and flavors.
This will make it super easy to switch between flavors to prevent your husky from becoming bored with their food. You will also have a much greater choice.
- Multiple flavors and sizes – choose between 6 different flavors and 5 different sizes
- Real meat – used as the first ingredient to give your husky the high quality protein that they need
- Antioxidant rich Lifesource Bits – includes Blue Buffalo’s proprietary blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- Gradually transition – fussy eaters may need to gradually transition to this food to keep them happy
Also available to buy at…
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet the energy needs of adult dogs, and features omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
The Taste of the Wild Premium Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon is another excellent choice for your husky. This particular dog food has been designed with your husky’s health in mind, so you can rest assured that they are getting the best of the best.
When we tested this dog food, we loved that it made use of real fish as the main ingredient.
This dog food uses real salmon as the main ingredient to give your husky the high quality protein source that they need. This will also give them plenty of fatty acids to maintain a healthy coat and skin.
Your husky will be getting the fully balanced diet that they need with this dog food. It contains all of the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that they need to stay happy and healthy. This will also give your husky the energy that they need to stay fit and energetic.
One of the best things about this dog food is that it is grain free. So you won’t have to worry about any pesky grains irritating your dog’s stomach.
There is also a blend of proprietary probiotics included to give your husky’s immune system a boost.
- Real fish – uses real salmon as the main ingredient for high quality protein and omega 3 fatty acids
- Fully balanced diet – gives your dog all the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients they need for a fully balanced diet
- Grain free – specially formulated without grains, wheat, corn, artificial colors, or artificial flavors so as to not irritate your dog’s stomach
- Oily – some owners found that the dog food could be on the oily side
Also available to buy at…
- Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream with SMOKED SALMON dry dog food; REAL FISH is the #1 ingredient; high-protein (32%) to help support bones, joints and LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from SUPERFOODS; omega fatty acids for healthy SKIN and COAT
- Each serving includes high levels of species-specific, K9 Strain PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS — plus antioxidants and prebiotics — to help support healthy digestion, immune system and overall health and wellness
- FAMILY OWNED; MADE in the USA using PREMIUM INGREDIENTS from trusted, sustainable sources around the world
Another fantastic choice of dog food for your husky is the Pedigree High Protein Adult Dry & Wet Canned Dog Food.
This particular dog food is available in both wet and dry form, so you can easily choose the best type for your husky. To get the best of both worlds, you can even combine the two for your husky’s daily diet.
One thing that we really loved about this dog food when we tested it is that there are lots of flavors to choose from. This will make it super easy to vary your dog’s diet so they won’t become bored of eating the same thing every day.
You won’t have to worry about the source of protein in this particular dog food. The Pedigree High Protein Adult Dry & Wet Canned Dog Food makes use of real meat as the main ingredient.
So your husky will get the high quality protein that they need in order to stay happy and healthy, as well as maintain lean muscle.
This particular dog food will give your husky the fully balanced diet that they need to stay fit and healthy.
It contains all of the key nutrients that your husky needs in order to live a happy and fulfilling life. It will also give them plenty of energy to ensure that they are able to tackle the day with vigor.
- Wet and dry food – choose your preferred type of dog food or mix and match between the two
- Multiple flavors – choose between 5 different flavors and multiple sizes
- Real meat – makes use of real meat for a high quality protein source
- Price varies – the price of your chosen food will vary between dry and wet food as well as different product sizes
Also available to buy at…
- Contains one (1) 20.4 lb. bag of PEDIGREE High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food Beef and Lamb Flavor
- Made with real red meat and 25% more protein than PEDIGREE Adult Complete Nutrition
- 100% complete and balanced high quality dry food for adult dogs
- No added sugar, no artificial flavors, and no high fructose corn syrup
- Active dogs of every breed go wild for the high protein recipe made with real meat and great taste
If you want to get as close to your husky’s natural diet as possible, then the Orijen Dry Dog Food and Crunchy Dog Biscuit Treats should be your dog food of choice.
This particular dog food works to give your dog a whole prey diet, including meat, cartilage, organs, and bones. So your dog will be getting all of the nutrients they need to stay happy and healthy.
What’s really great about this dog food is that it’s also available in treat form. So if you want to train your husky, you can opt for a healthy, appropriate treat to motivate them.
There are also multiple flavors and sizes to choose from in both the dog food and the biscuits.
You won’t have to worry about any filler ingredients with this Orijen dog food. What we really liked about this dog food when we tested it is that it makes use of at least 85% of premium animal ingredients.
So you can rest assured that your husky is getting all the nutrition that they need.
Another handy feature of this dog food is that it gives your husky the healthy, balanced diet that they need to live a happy and fulfilling life.
- Balanced diet – gives your dog everything they need to live a happy and healthy life
- Real animal ingredients – gives your husky the high quality protein source that they need
- Whole prey diet – makes use of meat, cartilage, organs, and bone to give your dog a fully balanced diet that their ancestors enjoyed in the wild
- Expensive – can be on the more expensive side if you opt for a larger pack
Also available to buy at…
- ORIJEN Original dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from free-run chicken and turkey, wild-caught fish, and cage-free eggs
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Using fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically Appropriate, grain-free diet that dogs have evolved to eat
- Our Fresh Regional Ingredients are supplied by people we know and trust, and are delivered to our kitchen fresh or raw, in their most natural and nourishing form
Prefer to give your husky a wet dog food? Then you should opt for Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wolf Creek Stew Natural Wet Dog Food. This particular dog food will be the ideal choice for giving to your dog on its own, or mixing it with kibble.
Your dog will get the high quality protein that it needs with this particular dog food. Blue Buffalo makes use of real meat as the main ingredient so as to help your dog maintain lean muscle.
It will also give them the fully balanced diet that they need to stay strong and healthy.
One of the best things about this dog food is that it’s available in several different flavors. This will be great for those huskies who are on the fussier side and get bored of their food when they eat the same flavor all the time.
What we really liked about this dog food when we tested it is that it makes use of natural ingredients. So you won’t have to worry about any filler ingredients harming your dog.
- Multiple flavors – choose between 4 great flavors to tempt your husky’s taste buds
- Wet dog food – great at keeping your dog hydrated throughout the day
- Real meat – gives your husky the high quality protein diet that they need
- Gradually transition – you may need to gradually transition your husky to this food or use it alongside their usual kibble
Also available to buy at…
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: This grain free dog food contains more of the chicken dogs love
- FEED THREE WAYS: High protein BLUE Wilderness Wolf Creek Stew adult dog food makes a delicious treat, adds interest mixed into their favorite dry foods or can be fed as a meal on its own
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: All BLUE canned dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: BLUE wet dog food contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, NO corn, wheat (a common thickening agent used by many other brands) or soy, and NO artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains twelve (12) 12.5-oz cans of BLUE Wilderness Wolf Creek Stew High Protein Grain Free, Natural Wet Dog Food, Chunky Chicken Stew in gravy
Trying to find the best dog food for huskies can be a real challenge. There are so many different factors to consider, including whether you should opt for a wet or dry food, which flavors you should choose, and what kind of ingredients you will need to prioritize.
If you’ve never bought food for your husky before, or are looking to change their daily diet, it can be an overwhelming experience trying to find a new food that suits their needs.
That’s why we’ve put together this handy buyer’s guide to help you. We’ve collated all of the key information that we used when choosing our best products that we’ve reviewed in more detail above.
So you can rest assured that you are buying a quality food for your husky, and that it will bear all of their needs in mind.
As long as you opt for a dog food that covers the below features, you’ll know you’re making a fully informed decision.
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about dog food for huskies below, or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions.
High Quality Protein
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing the best dog food for huskies is to opt for a product that only uses high quality protein.
This is because your dog will need high quality protein in order to maintain healthy, lean muscle. Cheaper sources of protein won’t be able to satisfy your husky’s needs. So it will be crucial to opt for a dog food that uses real meat as the main ingredient.
This is because real meat will give your husky the high quality protein that they need to get all of the right nutrition. If you opt for a product that uses salmon as its source of protein, you will also get the added benefit of omega 3s and other fatty acids.
These are fantastic at maintaining a silky soft fur coat, as well as healthy skin.
Dogs are carnivores after all, so it only makes sense to source them a good quality protein based food to ensure that all of their needs are being met. Your husky will be an active dog, so will need this high quality protein in order to stay fit, happy, and healthy.
Dry vs Wet Food
Perhaps your main dilemma will be in choosing between dry and wet food. There are benefits and drawbacks to both types of food. You may find that your husky is on the fussier side, and will only prefer one over the other.
Dry food is one of the more convenient types of food to offer your husky. This is because dry dog food is often available in larger quantities, so will be cheaper in the long run.
It is also super easy to portion out dry food, as you won’t have to worry about the food going off when exposed to the air. Some brands also include easy to reseal packaging to keep the food fresher for longer.
The only downsides to dry food is that they are often more expensive upfront. Also if you don’t use all of the food within a reasonable timeframe, it can often begin to go stale.
Wet food is one of the preferred foods for huskies. This is a great way to entice your dog to their food bowl, and can give them the high quality food that they need to stay happy and healthy.
Wet food is also a great way to ensure that your dog is staying hydrated throughout the day.
The downsides to wet food is that this can become expensive over time, adding up to be more than a bag of dry food. It can also be tricky to store any unused wet food from the can or pouch, as this will need to be refrigerated.
To get the best of both worlds, you can offer your husky both dry and wet food.
To ensure that your husky is able to stay happy and healthy, you should avoid foods that contain grain and other filler ingredients.
These are often added to pad out a food product and to cut down on production costs. There is very little nutritional value in these filler grains, and they can often irritate your dog’s delicate digestive system.
Some of the filler ingredients it is best advised to avoid include wheat, soy, artificial colors, artificial flavors, chicken by product meal, as well as grain of course.
If you want to give your dog the best in terms of choice, you should opt for a dog food that is available in multiple flavors.
This will make it super easy to switch between flavors if you want to keep your husky enthusiastic about gobbling down the food in their bowl.
By giving your dog more choice in terms of flavor, you can ensure that your dog won’t tire of their food.
Fully Balanced Diet
Once you have the above features covered, you will need to ensure that your dog is getting a fully balanced diet.
This will include lots of high quality protein, as well as all of the other essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that they need to stay happy and healthy.
It will be important to ensure that your dog is getting a fully balanced diet so that they can maintain lean muscle, a healthy coat and skin, support their immune system, support their digestive system, and make sure that they have plenty of energy to go around.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Dog Food Is Best For Huskies?
The best dog foods for huskies are:
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
- Taste of the Wild Premium Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon
- Pedigree High Protein Adult Dry & Wet Canned Dog Food
- Orijen Dry Dog Food and Crunchy Dog Biscuit Treats
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wolf Creek Stew Natural Wet Dog Food
What Foods Are Bad For Huskies?
Just as you will want to give your husky the very best dog foods that we have reviewed in more detail above, it will also be crucial to avoid giving them certain foods which are bad for them.
You should avoid giving your husky chocolate, garlic, onions, macadamia nuts, grapes, raisins, avocado, lemons, and limes. All of these human foods are highly toxic to dogs, and can cause them severe health problems.
Your dog will get all the nutrition that they need from their usual diet. If you want to supplement your dog’s diet with healthy snacks, it will be better off to opt for red bell peppers, sweet potato, carrots, and other healthy fruits and vegetables that are safe for them to consume.
How Much Should Huskies Eat?
The amount of food you need to feed your husky will vary depending on several factors. This will include their age, weight, and how active they are.
Male dogs are typically on the larger side than female huskies, so will likely need a little bit more food.
As a general rule of thumb, your male husky will need roughly 2 cups of food each day. Female huskies will need about 1 and a half cups of food each day.
If your husky is slightly overweight or not very active, you may need to give them less food. If you’re in doubt as to how much food you should give your husky, you can always consult with your vet.