Table of Contents
- What Are Bark Collars?
- The Use of Bark Collars
- Best Overall Vibrate & Beep Bark Collar for Big Dogs: DogRook Dog Bark Collar
- Best-Selling Beep, Vibration & Shock Collar: NBJU Bark Collar
- Best Ultrasonic Bark Collar: PetSafe Bark Collar
- Best Spray Collar: Downtown Pet Supply Store No Bark Collar
- Highest Rated Shock Collar: Dog Bark Collar by ZNFSZ Store
- Remote Controlled Bark Collar: NVK Shock Collar For Dogs With Remote
- Most Popular for Safety Beep & Vibration Bark Collar: Stopwoofer Dog Bark Collar
- Buyers Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
It’s 6 am, and you are awoken to the sound of your very large, loveable dog barking incessantly, again.
As much as you care for your dog, there’s only so much loud woofing a person can take. The fact you have a big dog means endless barking can be heard 2 blocks away. Sound familiar?
Should you be at your wits end, having tried every training technique, high-tech dog device, and pet therapy on offer, read on.
A bark collar, when used short term and correctly, may put your canine companion back on track.
So you (and everyone in the neighborhood) can finally sleep.
This guide gives you must-know facts about the 3 types of bark collar, so you can be sure you can provide your pet dog with the best support and training.
Discover the best bark collars for big dogs. We look at the most popular, the highest rated, and leading dog bark collars.
This guide delves into the pros and cons of each bark collar. Scroll down further, for more useful information in our buyer’s guide, and read the answers to some frequently asked questions, too.
What Are Bark Collars?
Dog bark collars are training collars designed with a corrective stimulus. This is bark-activated, and intended to teach a dog to stop negative barking. There are 4 types of bark collar:
Ultrasonic bark collar: Emits ultrasonic waves that are unpleasant to dogs to thwart negative behavior.
Stimulation Collars: Detects barking, then delivers electric pulses to shock the dog.
Spray Collars: Upon barking, the collar sprays out citronella. A smell dogs detest.
Vibration & Beep Collars: Beeps and vibrates upon barking, to grab your dog’s attention.
The Use of Bark Collars
The use of bark collars for dogs sparks a mixed bag of opinions. Whilst they should not be the go-to solution for excessive barking, there are times a bark collar may help.
If all else has failed and potential murder is on the cards (scary neighbor at #3), read on. This guide may just save your life!
Best Overall Vibrate & Beep Bark Collar for Big Dogs: DogRook Dog Bark Collar
This rechargeable dog bark collar has thousands of 5-star reviews. Suitable for small, medium and big dogs alike, and boasting a 96% success rate, it appears we have a winner.
The automatic anti-bark collar is the perfect way to humanely and effectively diminish unwanted barking. Designed with 5 stages of sound and vibration, these increase in response to louder and continued barks.
- Humane, safe, and effective: This automatic collar delivers a safe alternative anti-bark technique that works.
- Highly rated: Thousands of customers worldwide highly recommend this training collar.
- 2 modes and 5 stages of sound and vibration
- 96% success: Proven to be 96% effective
- Suitable for big dogs: adjustable collar to suit between 8 – 110 lbs
- Battery life 10 -14 days (however, it is rechargeable)
The DogRook Bark Collar is also available to buy online at DogRook
- Bark training: Our anti bark collars for dogs teach your pup to be relaxed and trusting instead of terrified. The no shock dog barking collar offers a highly effective, pain-free bark training solution
- Vibration & sound: The beep collar for dogs combines 2 vibration modes & 7 sound stages to deliver progressive bark training. The vibrating collar for dogs provides instant, automatic feedback tailored to your dog
- Smart & sensitive: Our vibrating dog collar features a smart microphone that responds to your dog’s unique bark only! The no bark collar for dogs has 5 sensitivity levels that can be adjusted to match environmental noise
- Rechargeable & waterproof: The no shock bark collar has a long-lasting battery life (up to 14 days) and is rain-, snow-, and splash-proof. This makes the vibration collar for dogs suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- For pups of all shapes & sizes: Our anti-bark collars for dogs fit pups between 8 and 110 lbs. The wide dog collar is adjustable up to 22 inches. The bark collar for medium dogs, small dogs, and large dogs comes with prong covers for long-haired breeds
Best-Selling Beep, Vibration & Shock Collar: NBJU Bark Collar
NBJU Bark Collar is a firm favorite among pet owners. This product literally has over 14,000 5-star reviews on Amazon alone.
The multimode collar comes with 7 sensitivity levels, and 3 basic training modes. It is hailed for providing 64 training methods, as well as delivering protection against the effect of any shock.
- Seven sensitivity levels and 3 modes (beep, vibration, and shock).
- Silicone protection to prevent any harm
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Suitable for big dogs
- May distress some dogs.
The NBJU Collar is also available to buy online at Ubuy.
- Bark collar for small medium large dogs with 7 sensitivity levels.
- 3 training modes of beep,vibration, provides 64 kinds of training methods.
- Protection function, two silicone sleeves can protect the dog's skin.
- IP67 waterproof bark collar which can be used indoors and outdoors.
- Bark collar rechargeable, charged in only 30 minutes and works about 12 days.
Best Ultrasonic Bark Collar: PetSafe Bark Collar
The PetSafe Ultrasonic Bark Training Collar offers a high-pitched ultrasonic frequency that is annoying, yet not harmful or painful to your pet dog.
Lightweight, comfortable and water-resistant, it is touted for being a perfect training aid to thwart nuisance barking.
- Safe and Effective: The anti-barking technology is proven to be a safe and effective training tool. Unlike some devices, this bark deterrent emits ultrasonic waves that deter your pooch from excessive barking.
- Lightweight, waterproof, and comfortable
- Easy to Use: Simple, discreet and easy to use
- Suitable for large dogs: The ultrasonic bark collar is suitable for all dogs. Fits over 8 pounds (3.63 kg), with a neck size limit of 28-inches..
- Not suitable for elderly dogs or those that have hearing problems
- Constant supervision required to prevent dog punishment for innocent barking.
The PetSafe Ultrasonic Dog Bark Control Collar is also available to buy at PetSafe
- GENTLE BARK CONTROL: When your dog barks, the collar emits a high-pitched ultrasonic sound that is annoying to your dog but is silent to most humans
- WORKS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE: Lightweight, water-resistant, and comfortable; your canine companion can wear this collar anywhere they need a reminder to keep quiet
- FITS SMALL TO LARGE DOGS: The collar fits dogs over 8 pounds and neck sizes up to 28 inches
- FITS OTHER COLLARS: A collar is included, but if your tail-wagger already has a favorite collar, the bark control unit will fit on other collars up to ¾ inches wide; fits dogs over 8 pounds and neck sizes up to 28 inches
- BATTERY LIFE: Two replaceable 3-Volt lithium batteries are included; collar has a low-battery indicator and an on/off switch to help preserve battery life
Best Spray Collar: Downtown Pet Supply Store No Bark Collar
Check out this No Bark Citronella Spray Collar. The kit includes collar, spray, refill, battery, and training manual to help you eliminate excessive barking and effective training.
Suitable for large dogs (8 lbs and upwards), it offers a refreshingly humane way to thwart endless negative barking behaviors.
- Safe and effective
- Fast way to train your dog
- Includes everything you need
- Suitable for big dogs
- Releases spray each time it is turned on, can be wasteful.
The No Bark Citronella Spray Collar is available to buy at DowntownPetSupply
- Dog Training Collar: An extremely safe anti-barking device that helps train your dog, senses your dog's bark and emits burst of harmless lemon spray
- Reliable Distinction: Barking control devices distinguish each bark from other external noises, emitting Citronella spray only if it senses both the vibration from vocal chords and the bark sound
- Barking Collar: Citronella dog collar for barking is not a shock collar. It is safe, effective and pain-free dog barking deterrent. Adjustable dog bark collar fits dogs 6 lbs and up
- Harmless and Non-Offensive: Citronella bark collar with lemon spray is non-offensive to people and generally effective enough to distract your dog from whatever he is barking at
- Pet Supplies for Furry Friends: We are pet owners first and business owners second, making our own products and standing behind them
Highest Rated Shock Collar: Dog Bark Collar by ZNFSZ Store
Specifically designed for larger dogs, this anti-bark collar suits big dogs up to 150 lbs.
However, smaller dogs can use it too. The collar features 5 sensitivity levels to suit various environments and levels of noise.
Furthermore, its advanced technology promises no false positives. It recognizes your dog’s bark from others. It has dual modes and smart bark control.
The receiver’s LED light flashes red to indicate vibrate, beep, and shock mode. The green LED light glows when you choose the beep and vibration mode.
- Dual mode and 5 levels
- Smart bark control
- Waterproof, durable, and rechargeable
- Suits larger dogs Neck circumference should measure between 8 – 23-inches.
- May distress anxious dogs.
The Dog Bark Collar is also available to buy at klosnit
- ADJUSTABLE SENSITIVITY - This large dog bark collar offers 5 sensitivity levels for all possible barking volumes and different environments, ensuring you can set the correct sensitivity level for your specific fur baby. Level 5 is the most sensitive setting and is suitable for dogs between 15 and 150 pounds.
- No False Triggers & Unique Test Mode - With strict false bark detection, the bark collar can intelligently identify your dog's unique bark and filter out other sounds. When the sensitivity level is adjusted to 0, the receiver enters a test mode, which you can test by blowing or shouting at the sensor microphone on the back of the receiver.
- Dual Mode and Smart Barking Control - The receiver is designed with an LED indicator to show the level, red light for "Beep + Vibration" mode, green light for "Beep + Vibration" mode, 1-5 for each mode adjustable intensity levels. Depending on the nature and behavior of your pet, select a trigger sensitivity from 1 to 5 via the power button to prevent dog barking.
- Adjustable and Durable Bark Control Collar - This vibrating dog collar is suitable for dogs with a neck circumference between 8" and 23" and is suitable for all breeds of small, medium and large dogs; over 15 lbs and over 6 months Your dog can use this vibrating collar; a durable reflective nylon collar - you can adjust the leash to your dog's size.
- RECHARGEABLE AND WATERPROOF - The anti-bark collar includes a built-in USB rechargeable battery. About 2-3 hours full charge, 15 days of use. IP67 waterproof design, suitable for dog swimming and showering in summer. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via order details
Remote Controlled Bark Collar: NVK Shock Collar For Dogs With Remote
The NVK bark collar is a #1best-seller of electronic training collars. It includes 3 modes: 1-99 levels, (static), 1-9 levels (vibration), and beep mode.
The 4 channel collar enables training for up to 4 dogs at once, and comes with 1 transmitter. It also combines a remote with a range of up to 1600 ft (0.49 km).
Furthermore, it features a security lock to prevent mishandling of the remote or accidental shock release.
- 3 modes and 4 channels for multiple training
- Remote controlled
- Ranges up to 1600 ft (0.49 km)
- Waterproof, and includes security lock feature.
- Suitable for big dogs
- Takes several hours to charge
- May be detrimental for the wellbeing of some dogs.
NVK Shock Collar is also available to buy at NVKVIP
- Dog Training Collar Modes: NVK shock collar with 3 training modes (Static Shock (0-99 levels), Vibration (1-9 levels), Beep).
- 4 Channel: NVK dog shock collar with remote support a maximum of 4 dogs training only 1 transmitter.
- 1600ft Remote & Waterproof: NVK shock collar for small/medium/large dogs, range up to 1600ft, waterproof level IPX7.
- Security Lock: NVK dog training collar with safety keyboard lock. Prevents misoperation on the remote, without worrying about accidental shock.
- Dog Training Shock Collar Rechargeable: Takes about 2 to 3 hours to charge fully and they will last for about 15 days. Long-lasting batteries ensure effective dog training for large/medium/small dogs.
Most Popular for Safety Beep & Vibration Bark Collar: Stopwoofer Dog Bark Collar
This bark collar has received high acclaim for its effective, yet totally harmless bark eliminating abilities. The electronic collar offers 2 beep and vibrations modes, and is ideal for big dogs.
That said, it is also adjustable and will fit small to medium-sized furry friends, too.
This collar provides one unique, refreshingly beneficial feature. It gives your dog protection against continued exposure.
In the instance that your pooch keeps on barking, it will shut itself off for 1 minute, after 7 correction levels. This gives the clever gadget a gold star for safety, where other products fail.
- 1. Protection against excessive exposure
- 2. Lightweight and comfortable for large dogs
- 3. Rechargeable and lasts for 2 weeks before it needs to be recharged.
- 1. Takes over 2 hours to fully charge.
The Stopwoofer Beep & Vibration Bark Collar is also available to buy online at Ubuy.
- Dog barking collar is rechargeable. It gets charged in only 2 hours and works about 14 days with 1 battery life. USB cable comes with the device.
- No bark collar for dogs protects from excessive exposure. When the dog keeps barking, the collar shuts off for 1 minute after 7 correction levels. Bark collar no shock is 100% safe for your dog
- It's lightweight at only 2,1 oz that makes it not only a suitable bark collar large dog and bark collar medium dogs but also a perfect bark collar for small dogs as well.
We have looked at some of the most popular anti-bark collars on the market. These bark control collars come with various features.
Some are ultrasonic systems, some emit sprays, and others use vibration, beep, and shock to grab the attention of your canine companion.
Choosing the right type of collar depends on your dog’s personality, age, and health. For instance, you do not want to give an anxious dog an ultrasonic or shock-delivering collar. Likewise, these will be ineffective for older dogs with hearing problems.
When deciding on which anti-bark collar is right for your pooch, there are several key points to consider.
High Quality and Trusted Brand
When purchasing an anti-bark collar, particularly if you are opting for an ultrasonic or shock-based device, it is vital you buy from a credible and trusted manufacturer.
Always check user reviews and ratings, to ensure optimal safety for your loveable dog.
There’s nothing worse than putting your hopes in a product you really need to work, only to discover it’s useless. Again, look at customer reviews on the product. Check the specifications required for the particular collar.
Will it fit your dog? Do a little research to decipher how long the training technique should take, and any other factors that may hinder success.
Make sure your chosen anti-bark collar provides all the features you expect from it. For example, if you intend to use the collar outdoors, and your dog loves jumping in the nearby lake, you need to ensure it is waterproof.
If you want a collar that releases vibration as well as beeps, you need to check the collar has both functions.
Should you choose a collar that uses ultrasonic technology, is it suitable for your dog?
Some collars offer several functions. If you aren’t sold on the shock technique, but the collar you like features this function, could you accidentally trigger it?
1. Durability and battery life
Nothing could be worse than buying a high-tech device that constantly needs to be recharged, or worse, new batteries. Check if your gadget is rechargeable, and how long it lasts on average before this is required.
If it includes non-rechargeable batteries, which ones will you need? Check they are readily available and not too costly. Otherwise, it will likely end up in the bottom drawer of your cabinet.
One of the most important things to consider before buying any anti-bark collar is safety. After all, your dog is your best buddy and his wellbeing is paramount.
Always check the brand is trustworthy and maintains high standards of care.
Do some digging and confirm that other customers are happy with their anti-bark collar. When buying ultrasonic systems, make sure the ultrasonic frequency level does not exceed 25,000.
Any higher, and this can be not just distressing, but harmful for your canine companion.
Be careful when using shock collars. Consider what effect this will have on your dog. Will it cause anxiety, distress, and pain? Choosing the wrong device may further increase the excessive barking problem.
3. Punishment for natural barking
Barking is your dog’s way of communicating with you. If your gadget activates its specified anti-bark feature every time your dog barks, it is inhumane.
Your dog will be understandably worried, distressed and confused. Not only will it make the training technique ineffective, but you will lose your special bond with your dog. He will not feel he can trust you, and this will lead to more issues.
Consider all the pros and cons of the device you are thinking of buying. Is it likely to cause concerns for your dog?
No one would like a cumbersome collar attached to their neck. When buying an anti-bark collar for your big dog, make sure you check the size. Don’t buy a collar that only just fits your large dog.
Also, make sure the bark control collar is lightweight enough to be worn happily. What materials is the collar made from?
Should you purchase a shock-delivering collar, you need to guarantee it is designed with a silicone protection. Failure to have appropriate material may result in harming your dog.
5. Suitability of use
Is the collar going to be suitable for your big dog? Consider what other training techniques you may need to implement to ensure successful results. Consider how you will use the collar, and how to incorporate a reward system into your training process.
Age is another factor to consider when thinking about the device’s suitability. How old is your large dog? Elderly dogs do not respond well to ultrasonic, sounds, and even some vibration systems.
On the other hand, it is not recommended to use such gadgets on very young puppies.
6. Dog Health
Before buying a bark collar, consider the health of your dog. Is your dog likely to respond well, or are there health conditions that will prevent efficacy, or induce distress and harm?
Dog bark collars should never be the initial method of training and curbing excessive barking, there are occasions when they can be an effective training aid. The above-mentioned anti-bark gadgets are all suitable for big dogs.
They are highly rated and widely considered safe to use. That said, these devices should never be relied upon as a sole method to thwart excessive barking.
Establishing the reason for negative bark behavior, and incorporating a reward system, are crucial to ensure your dog’s wellbeing.
When deciding which bark collar, consider the points we discussed, ensuring you buy the perfect device for your pooch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Vibration Collars Hurt Dogs?
While shock collars can be harmful to dogs in some circumstances, vibration bark collars do not inflict any pain on your canine friend. Vibration anti-bark collars work via sensation, and therefore do not hurt dogs.
However, these gadgets should not be used as a long term solution, or implemented freely without care. They still act to negatively reinforce or ‘punish barking.
Whilst nuisance and excessive barking should be addressed, a dog needs to feel safe and okay to communicate through normal barking.
Overuse of anti-bark collars will result in your dog feeling like he is unable to communicate at all.
Are Citronella Spray Collars A Good Alternative To Shock Collars For Tackling Negative Dog Behavior?
Whereas shock bark collars have the potential to inflict pain and distress in dogs, citronella spray collars are a harmless training aid. At worst, these spray anti bark devices irritate.
Dogs find the smell of citronella very unpleasant. Consequently, this is sometimes enough to get your dog’s attention long enough to have a rethink about their noisy barking sessions.
Are Citronella Bark Collars As Effective As Other Anti-Bark Collars?
The jury on their efficacy is still out. It really depends on the dog. Some dogs become distracted for long enough for the technique to work.
Other dogs will bark more in protest at the stench. And some dogs will dislike the smell, but then carry on barking, regardless of the smell.
If you have exhausted all other options and consider shock and ultrasonic collars a cruel training device, it is definitely worth a shot.