Table of Contents
- Dr. Tim’s All Life Stages Kinese Formula with Chicken Premium Dry Dog Food
- Canidae Grain Free Pure Land Formula for Dogs
- Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Large Breed Recipe
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Dry Dog Food High Protein Original Recipe
- Taste of the Wild Roasted Bison and Venison High Protein Premium Dry Dog Food
- Bully Max High-Performance Super Premium Dog Food for All Ages
- Annamaet Original Ultra Formula Dry Dog Food, 32% (Chicken and Brown Rice)
- CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food in Beef and Chicken
- Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dogs Chicken and Rice Formula
- Nulo Adult Dog Food: Grain-Free, All Natural Dry Pet Kibble for Large and Small Dogs
- Buyers Guide
- The Verdict
- Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to selecting the best kind of food for a pitbull, there are several elements to consider to ensure that your canine companion gets the best possible meal to keep them happy and healthy.
Pitbulls and pitbull puppies are a relatively active breed and can often be prone to allergies – usually centered around skin problems if they have a white coat and pink skin-, so their dietary needs might be a little more difficult to get right.
In order to help you on your way to finding the perfect brand of dog food for your pitbull, we have compiled a list of some of the best options for this particular breed.
Let’s take a look at some of the best dog food brands that offer everything that your pitbull might need to maintain a healthy and nutritional diet.
This dog food brand contains natural ingredients, with an abundance of meat content that makes for the perfect balance of amino acids for your dog’s diet. The main ingredients of this particular brand are as follows:
- Chicken meal
- Chicken fat
- Whole oat groats
- Pearled barley
- Brown rice
Dr Tim’s formula does include grain, which can be a little difficult for dogs to digest when it is used as the primary source of protein.
However – as you can see from the list above-, most of the formula is made up of proteins derived from chicken-based animal protein, so the grain element of the food is completely healthy for your dog.
To be more specific about the content of this particular brand, it has around 18% fat, 45% carbohydrates (estimated) 29% protein, and a protein-to-fat ratio that is about 62% (all according to the labels).
As well as this, the food also contains antioxidants- such as spinach – within the ingredients, which aid in the prevention of cell damage.
The chelated minerals included in the food – such as iron proteinate- allow for maximum absorption, too. This isn’t a particularly expensive choice when it comes to dog food, either, which is sure to be appealing to those working within a specific budget.
The Omega 3 fatty acids within this food encourage a healthy coat as well as healthy joints and skin and improved cognitive function. This brand would be excellent for pitbulls due to its use of animal-based proteins.
- Lots of animal-based protein.
- A well-balanced combination of protein, carbohydrates, and fat.
- Encourages positive health with Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Aids with the prevention of cell damage and aids with optimum absorption of healthy nutrients.
- Appropriate for both adult pitbulls and puppies.
- This food does contain grain, so it may not be appropriate for pitbulls with an allergy or a sensitive stomach.
- ALL LIFE STAGES & ALL BREEDS FORMULA - Formulated to meet the nutritional and metabolic needs of puppies, adults and seniors, including the growth of large breed dogs
- PROMOTES ACTIVITY, CLARITY AND SHINY COAT - Omega 3 fatty acids for cognitive function, joint health and healthy skin and coat
- BALANCED FORMULA - 79% animal sourced proteins, with a balanced blend of carbohydrates, fat and fiber for a nutritionally sound meal
- SUPPORTS A CASUAL LIFESTYLE - Formulated for the casual canine by working in conjunction with your dog's natural metabolism
- Metabolizable energy is 3658 kcal/kg or 413 kcal/cup (110g)
Canidae has a wide range of dog food formulas that are grain-free and feature only a handful of the essential ingredients- seven in total-, necessary to make for a healthy and happy dog.
Their food is particularly suitable for pitbulls who might have allergies, as Candiae is designed specifically for dogs that are sensitive to certain ingredients and made to be kind on the stomach whilst encouraging gentle and easy digestion.
The seven key ingredients of the Canidae dog foods are as follows:
- Lamb Meal
- Sweet Potatoes
- Canola Oil
- Sun cured Alfalfa
- Natural flavorings, minerals, vitamins, and probiotics
With an emphasis on completely natural ingredients that are made for dogs that may be prone to allergies, Canidae is one of the better options when it comes to dog food brands that are suitable for pitbulls.
- Made for dogs that are more sensitive towards certain foods.
- Contains real animal meat and animal meal.
- Dogs who are not sensitive to certain ingredients are still able to enjoy it.
- Various formulas and flavors are available, all of which contain real meat or real fish.
- This brand does contain peas, which certain dogs can have problems digesting due to their fiber content.
- Real Meat Is Always First For Great Taste
- Made With Whole Foods For Gentle Digestion
- Simple Recipes For Sensitive Dogs
Merrick Backcountry is another brand that prides itself on being derived mostly from animal-based protein, as well as being rich in Omega fatty acids. There are various flavors and formulas to choose from, all of which are made with real deboned meat, poultry, and fish.
Although this particular choice is grain-free, there are versions of the brand that offer healthy grain options too.
The grain-free large breed recipe features chicken and turkey meal and deboned chicken, with a recipe that features a fat-to-protein ratio of around 45% as well as 43% protein, 30% carbohydrates, and 19% fats.
Here are the exact ingredients:
- Chicken meal
- Turkey meal
- Deboned chicken
- Sweet Potatoes
The grain-free nature of this variation of the Merrick Backcountry brand makes for food that is bound to be gentle on a sensitive dog’s stomach, whilst maintaining strength with the real poultry-based protein.
The food also includes chelated minerals – which are great for quick and efficient digestion and absorption- as well as chondroitin and glucosamine- helpful when it comes to maintaining joint health.
This can be very useful for very agile pitbulls, whose joints might be more prone to deterioration. Merricks is an excellent choice for pitbulls, particularly those who have skin allergies.
- Made up of real animal-based meats for proteins.
- A good combination of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins.
- It can aid in strengthening joints and maintaining a healthy coat and skin.
- Perfect for particularly active pitbulls.
- Variations that include grain.
- Not suitable for puppies.
- One (1) 20 lb Bag - Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Grain Free Dog Food, Large Breed Recipe, Freeze Dried Dog Food
- Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Grain Free Dog Food, Large Breed Recipe, Freeze Dried Dog Food
- High protein dog food recipe with a protein-rich blend of freeze-dried raw coated dry dog food plus real freeze dried raw dog food
- Real deboned chicken is the first ingredient in this natural dog food to help maintain healthy muscles and energy levels
- This grain free dry dog food with freeze dried raw dog food bites is crafted with omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat, and glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy hips and joints
Another grain-free option, Wellness CORE is rich in meat-based proteins and also has a ton of omega fatty acids to help with the healthy maintenance of a pitbulls coat and skin.
There is no soy, wheat, or corn involved in this brand of food, all of which can sometimes make digestion a bit difficult. Here are some of the ingredients to be found in this brand of dog food:
- Deboned turkey
- Turkey meal
- Chicken meal
- Chicken fat
These are just a few of the ingredients, with others including salmon oil and flaxseed – to provide those aforementioned omega fatty acids- as well as probiotics, taurine, fiber, glucosamine, antioxidants, and probiotics, all of which help to maintain the healthiness of your dog’s heart, their digestive system, and their joints.
This is certainly one of the better brands of food for adult pitbulls, thanks to the inclusion of 16% crude fat and 34% crude protein.
- Real meat-based proteins
- Rich in omega fatty acids
- A healthy grain option
- Encourages heart health, joint health, and healthy digestion
- No GMO sourced ingredients or artificial flavors or preservatives
- Not suitable for puppies
- ADVANCED NATURAL NUTRITION TO FUEL YOUR DOG'S BEST LIFE: Premium protein expertly balanced with nutrient rich superfoods for a complete and balanced dog food, with guaranteed levels of all the nutrients your dog needs to thrive and no fillers
- SAVORY FOOD DOGS LOVE: Wellness CORE is available in grain and grain free recipes, as well as limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- LEANER BODY MASS AND MUSCLE TONE: Wellness CORE dog food is made with a high concentration of protein from fresh meat ingredients
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT with guaranteed levels of omega fatty acids from ingredients such as flaxseed and salmon oil
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
The Taste of the Wild brand features a wide variety of real meat-based protein, but also a fair amount of healthy supplements to encourage general health. Some of the ingredients that can be found in this particular flavor are as follows:
- Water buffalo
- Chicken meal
- Lamb meal
- Sweet potatoes
- Roasted Venison
- Roasted Bison
- Vitamin A Supplement
- Vitamin B12 Supplement
- Vitamin D Supplement
- Folic Acid
Some of the vitamins and supplements that are included in the food are essential for maintaining a dog’s general health, such as vitamin A for encouraging healthy skin (helpful for pitbulls that may have skin problems), vitamin D for maintaining strong joints, and folic acid for enforcing amino acid metabolism and stimulating cell growth.
Most of the protein here comes from real water buffalo, bison, and venison meat, but there is also some beef thrown in for good measure as well as some fruits – such as blueberries- which provide natural antioxidants for further health benefits and nutritional value.
The various prebiotics and probiotics aid with a healthy digestion system too. With a fat-to-protein ratio of 56%, a fat content of 20%, and a protein and estimated carbohydrate content of 36%, this is certainly an excellent choice of food for a pitbull.
- Real meat proteins in a wide variety of flavors, allowing for choice if your pitbull is particularly picky!
- All meats are clearly labeled, letting you know exactly what kind of meat your dog is consuming
- Includes vital supplements, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
- Suitable for both adults and puppies.
- Contains peas, which can be a bit difficult for digestion for dogs with a particularly sensitive stomach.
- Taste of the Wild High Prairie with ROASTED BISON and VENISON dry dog food; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; high-protein (32%) to help support bones, joints and LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from FRUITS and SUPERFOODS; omega fatty acids for healthy SKIN and COAT
- Each serving includes species-specific K9 Strain PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS — plus antioxidants and prebiotics — to help support healthy digestion, IMMUNE system and overall health and wellness
- FAMILY OWNED; MADE in the USA using PREMIUM INGREDIENTS from trusted, sustainable sources around the world
There is literally a pitbull on the bag of the Bully Max brand of food, so it is pretty obvious that this is a food brand that is intended for dogs with a similar build to pitbulls.
The formula of Bully Max is based purely on meat – with no soy, wheat, and no corn- and it offers a lot more calories, which is particularly helpful for pitbulls that are naturally built bigger and bulkier.
This high-calorie and high protein formula is intended to aid with strength and maintain energy, whilst also being suitable for both adults and puppies. The main ingredients are as follows:
- Chicken fat
- Chicken meal
- Ground Grain Sorghum
- Dried Plain Beet Pulp
- Brown rice
Although this is a recipe that includes grain, it does not have any concentrated forms of legumes incorporated into the formula.
Legumes are sometimes used as a dog food ingredient purely to boost the number of proteins, but they aren’t as compatible with a dog’s digestive system as they are with a human one, which could lead to stomach problems.
This isn’t a concern with Bully Max due to the lack of legumes as an ingredient.
Bully Max also includes beet pulp fiber in the recipe – aiding with good digestion- and flaxseed which is chock-full of omega-3 fats for healthy coats and skin, but the recipe has no high-risk preservatives or BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole), lowering the risk of serious illnesses, such as cancer.
- Rich in meat-based proteins
- Additional ingredients- like beet pulp- to help with general health such as digestion
- Includes flaxseed with omega fatty acids for shiny coats and healthy skin
- No preservatives or BHA
- Suitable for full-grown adult pitbulls and puppies.
- Grain-based, which isn’t always the most suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies.
- One of the more expensive brands.
Also available on BullyMax.com
- The ONLY 5 Star rated performance dog food. Rated by the world's #1 online dog food review site.
- The ONLY Meat Based formula in its class. Unlike other brands which are plant based, Bully Max dog food uses real meat as the #1 ingredient.
- MORE CALORIES than any other formula in its class (535 per cup). When you feed your dog Bully Max high performance dog food, you'll feed up to 50% less food.
- FOR ALL AGES. Bully Max High Performance is suitable for adult dogs and puppies (ages 4 weeks and older).
- Bully Max dog food has NEVER BEEN RECALLED. This is due the triple check system. Bully Max dog food is tested 3 time prior to leaving the manufacturing facility.
Annamaet is a company that has been providing dog and cat food for more than thirty years, and they are certainly one of the best brands available for a breed such as a pitbull.
Their food focuses on nutrition first, offering GMO-free food for dogs that is holistic and made without wheat, soy, or corn. Their chicken and brown rice formula is no exception, containing the following ingredients:
- Chicken meal
- Chicken fat
- Herring meal
- Whole dry eggs
- Brown rice
On top of this healthy recipe, Annamaet Ultra contains all important Omega 3 fatty acids for a glossy coat and healthy skin as well as prebiotics and probiotics (for healthy digestion), chelated minerals (to strengthen the immune system), and is rich in the necessary proteins.
The proteins in this particular choice come from both meat and eggs, which makes for a slightly different take on the standard protein formula in a lot of dog food options.
This is a great choice for pitbulls of all ages, thanks to the balance of carbohydrates and proteins.
- High protein thanks to the combination of chicken meal and eggs in the recipe.
- Probiotics and prebiotics for a strong and healthy stomach.
- Omega 3 fatty acids for joint strength.
- Contains docosahexaenoic acid- or DHA-, which is beneficial to the linings of the blood vessels.
- No wheat, no corn, and no soy.
- Suitable for adult dogs and puppies
- Not grain-free. Healthy grains have their benefits, but they may not agree with the digestion of some dogs who are particularly sensitive or have allergies.
- FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED: Annamaet Pet foods, a truly family owned and operated company, has been providing optimum nutrition to dogs and cats for over 30 years, Our mission is to maximize the health and well-being of our beloved pets while preserving our environment and natural resources for future generations
- PREMIUM NUTRITION: Our products are holistic and GMO free as Annamaet maintains strict standards of quality control, All meat and fish used in our formulas are passed fit for human consumption, All of our products are corn, wheat, and soy free, Annamaet uses an artisanal production, allowing for small batches and a slow cook
- SUSTAINABILITY: Annamaet is dedicated to a more sustainable future and the wellbeing of our environment, Our commitment to sustainability includes not only our new packaging, but what’s inside the bag as well, Annamaet now uses sustainable packaging, made with Bio-Flex materials that are specifically engineered to biodegrade in landfills
- Annamaet ORIGINAL FORMULAS: Part of Annamae's Original Line of formulas, which use proteinated (chelated) minerals to help support the immune system and optimal mineral absorption, Also contains L-Carnitine which is associated with better fat utilization and helps to maintain lean body mass
- Annamaet Ultra is designed for very active dogs, performance dogs and puppies, It is formulated with antibiotic free, low ash chicken, herring meal and brown rice This is an “ultra” energy dense product, having the highest protein and fat levels of any of our formulas
Crave is a brand that prides itself on taking inspiration from the diet of wolves, known as the ancestors of domesticated dogs.
The brand does this by offering a food choice that is rich in animal proteins – such as chicken- to encourage strength and maintain good health.
Crave has no artificial preservatives, nor does it have any artificial flavors, colors, soy, corn, barley, or wheat. It boasts a protein percentage of 34% with zero grain, though it does utilize carbohydrate sources, such as peas. The chicken formula contains the following ingredients within its recipe:
- Chicken meal
- Pork meal
- Split peas
This choice is an excellent one thanks to the fresh chicken from which most of the ingredients are sourced.
- A good balance of nutrients.
- Protein sourced directly from animals
- No BHA or other preservatives that can be considered high risk
- No grain
- Uses chelated minerals to aid with absorption
- Not suitable for puppies
- Some dogs – including pitbulls- may have allergies to the peas and lentils that are used to boost carbohydrates.
- Contains one (1) 22 lb. bag of CRAVE High Protein Adult Grain Free With Protein from Chicken All Natural Dog Food Plus Vitamins, Minerals, and Other Nutrients
- Inspired by the diets of their wolf ancestors, CRAVE adult dog food is made with real ingredients including high-quality animal protein and the full meaty flavor dogs love
- Satisfies a dog's natural desire for animal protein with real chicken as the first ingredient
- Supports a strong, lean body with 34% high protein
- Dry grain free dog food recipe formulated with no corn, wheat, or soy and no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives and zero grain
Diamond Naturals has a whole range of different flavors and recipes in their collection, but their chicken and rice formula contains the following:
- Chicken fat
- Chicken meal
- Cracked pearly barley
- Whole grain brown rice
This brand also contains a whole host of other ingredients that can be beneficial for dogs, including pitbulls. This includes oranges and kale, which are not only great for humans but great for dogs too as they act as antioxidants and maintain healthy arteries.
Diamond Naturals food also has a particularly low fat-to-protein ratio (the fat-to-protein ratio is around 62%), offering a pitbull better balance when it comes to their nutrient intake.
The wide range of flavors combined with the excellent nutrient balance and the extra ingredients to endorse various health benefits makes this choice one of the best when it comes to appropriate dog food for a pitbull.
- Exceptional balance in terms of proteins, carbs, and fats.
- A variety of flavors to serve all tastes!
- Additional ingredients make for extra health benefits.
- Suitable for both puppies and adult pitbulls.
- Not as pricey as some other dog food brands.
- Features grain, as we have mentioned with a fair amount of the additions on this list! There is nothing inherently wrong with grain-based dog food. It all depends on your dog’s preferences and whether they have allergies.
- Keep an eye on your canine companion if you opt for food with grain to make sure that their stomachs can handle it and that they aren’t allergic.
- Fresh Chicken Is The #1 Ingredient
- Antioxidant Formulation
- Balanced Omega Fatty Acids for Skin and Coat
Nulo is another brand that offers tons of different recipes and flavors, making it the perfect choice for a fussy pitbull or great for a chance to mix up your dog’s diet a little.
Their best-selling recipes include their lamb and salmon flavors, but we are going to be taking a look at some of the ingredients from their turkey and sweet potato recipe:
- Deboned turkey
- Turkey meal
- Chicken fat
- Salmon meal
As you can see, this is a completely grain-free option of dog food that relies on animal-based proteins, mixing both salmon and turkey to encourage muscle development.
As well as being entirely grain-free, this choice also contains minerals to encourage faster absorption – such as manganese proteinate- and plenty of antioxidants to boost your dog’s immune system and general health.
- No grain whatsoever, which is ideal for pitbulls that might have food allergies.
- Strong protein content from the mixture of animal-based protein sources.
- Antioxidants that promote healthy skin, joints, coats, and muscles.
- A variety of flavor options and recipes.
- Better suited for adult dogs rather than puppies.
- TURKEY & SWEET POTATO RECIPE - Nulo Freestyle Adult Dog Food blends grain-free and clean ingredients to help your pup maintain a balanced diet, healthy weight, and robust energy levels. 26 lb bag
- HIGH MEAT/LOW CARB - Our proprietary formula contains 80% animal-based protein, more amino acids, and better flavor. Nulo uses fewer carbs & low glycemic ingredients.
- UNBEATABLE NUTRITION - Our meat protein-rich, GanedenBC30 biotic, low-carb, small kibble formula is crafted for every adult breed, Large or small, ensuring your hound receives nutrients necessary for a long, active life.
- PROMOTES HEALTHY COAT & LEAN MUSCLES - Along with our nutritious ingredients, Nulo features Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to nourish your dog's skin and help promote a beautiful, shiny coat.
- MANUFACTURED IN THE USA - Based in Austin, TX, Nulo Pet foods contains no corn, wheat gluten, soy, artificial preservatives, colors, or flavoring.
So there we have some of the best options for food when it comes to a pitbull, but what are the other elements that need to be considered?
Let’s take a look at some important factors to consider when deciding on the right dog food for your pitbull.
The Size of Your Pitbull
Pitbulls are a breed that tends to be mixed with other breeds, meaning that their size and weight can differ drastically depending on if they are a pure breed or if they are mixed with a small breed or with a larger one.
Whilst they tend to have a stocky, well-built, and agile frame regardless of if they are a mixed breed or a pure one, their size can range from anywhere around thirty to seventy pounds.
Make sure that you know what general size your pitbull is before you decide on a dog food brand, as some may be better suited for larger pitbulls and vice versa.
Pitbulls are also a dog breed that is prone to allergies, which can include food-based allergies. Food allergies can come to the fore via issues with their skin – such as rashes or general irritation- but they can also be expressed with actions such as excessive scratching or a change in bowel habits.
Keep an eye on your pitbull and note any different behavior when it comes to consuming certain kinds of foods.
So what are the ingredients that make up a well-balanced diet for a pitbull?
Pitbulls are a particularly muscular dog breed, and so whilst protein is essential in any dog’s diet, you should keep an eye out for a dog food brand that offers a slightly higher protein content of between twenty and thirty percent.
This is just a ballpark figure of course, and it can be increased if you have a pitbull that is particularly active, as they will need to have more protein to encourage further development and growth of their muscles.
The best- and most healthy – kinds of dog food have a wide range of protein sources, from various animals, (animal proteins are much more digestible for dogs than plant proteins) such as fish, eggs, beef, and chicken to name a few.
Fat is also an essential ingredient for all dogs to have in their diet, with the AAFCO (or the Association of American Feed Control Officials) recommending a diet containing five percent fat to maintain an adult dog, and a diet of eight percent fat for aiding with growth and reproduction, such as for growing puppies or expecting mothers.
When it comes to ingredients to avoid, steer clear of anything artificial, such as artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, or sweeteners as well as food products that can be difficult for dogs to digest, such as certain grains or an excessive amount of ingredients that are used to up the protein content, such as lentils and peas.
As you can see, there are so many kinds of dog food brands available that are suitable for pitbulls.
When picking a brand, consider practical factors that are useful to you – such as the price range- as well as elements that affect your dog directly – such as whether your pitbull has allergies, their size, any dietary requirements they may have, and if they would benefit from certain ingredients, such as those that promote healthy digestion or those that strengthen joints.
Once you are certain what your pitbulls needs are in terms of food and nutrients, you are sure to find the best dog food brand to suit their tastes!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Dog Food For A Pitbull With Allergies?
We have touched a little bit on the nature of allergies and pitbulls above, due to their tendency to develop skin-related issues as they have such a thin coat.
However, pitbulls can develop allergies to a wide range of ingredients, so if you aren’t sure what exact food to give to a pitbull with allergies, you may have to go through some trial and error.
Take note of what foods cause a reaction in your pitbull and once you have some kind of idea as to what could be causing it, a patch test at the vet is the best course of action to guarantee a clear view as to what foods to avoid.
Do Pitbulls Have Any Specific Dietary Requirements?
Pitbulls are much like other breeds in that they require the same basic nutritional diets, but they are more prone to issues like allergies, hypothyroidism, heart disease, and hip dysplasia, so any foods that encourage a healthy heart and strong joints (like some of the ones we have mentioned above) would be a good place to start in terms of feeding your pitbull a brand of food to keep them both happy and healthy.
How Many Times A Day Should A Pitbull Be Fed?
Much like other breeds, twice a day should suffice for a pitbull. Once in the morning and once in the evening should keep them satiated (though some treats during the day is of course always going to be welcomed!).
Make sure to include plenty of meat-based foods in their diet – such as the ones we have discussed above- to maintain a source of protein. Be careful, though, as some of those aforementioned allergies can stem from those vital proteins.
If this becomes the case, consult a vet for more information on what kind of foods would be the most suitable for a pitty with a protein allergy.
Combine brands of dry food with wet food to offer some variety in terms of taste and texture for your pitbull.