Table of Contents
- Vibration Remote Training Collars
- Bark Training Collars
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Training collars can be a great tool in the training of a dog or a puppy and have been around, and working for decades. Back in the 1960’s they were mostly a tool used to train hunting dogs and keep them domesticated.
Back then, the collars were electric and delivered a quick shock to a dog that would stop it in its tracks when it was doing something the owner didn’t agree on.
However, dog training techniques have evolved since the ’60s and now we have found that positive reinforcement is way healthier for your dog than negative reinforcement.
We have even found that some canines can develop behavioral issues if they are trained with a shock collar.
While shock collars are still available today on the market, there are many other training collars available that are more humane and more effective.
Training collars work similar to verbal commands, except they are easier for the dog to understand. Generally, you have a handheld transmitter that controls a vibration or a tone that emits from your dog’s collar.
You can use this handheld transmitter to then activate this vibration or tone when you need to correct your dog’s behavior.
Your dog will then associate that action with the negative tone or vibration, and refrain from performing that action or behavior again.
Some training collars will also activate on your dog’s bark, these training collars are great if you want to specifically train your dog to stop barking.
In this article, we will explore some of the best training collars on the market that do not employ a shock method.
Vibration Remote Training Collars
Vibration collars seem to be the favored training collar when talking about alternatives to the shock collar.
These collars allow the user to send a vibration through the collar to varying degrees, to let the dog know that their actions or behaviors are wrong.
The vibration is designed to be uncomfortable for the dog, but not in any way painful or harmful. With most vibration collars you can also adjust the intensity of the vibration in accordance with your dog.
When using a vibration training collar we always recommend starting on the lowest intensity and raising the intensity if needs be.
We also recommend that you couple the vibration of the collar with positive reinforcement as well, if your dog is doing something that they shouldn’t do, vibrate the collar, if they stop performing that action then reward them with a treat.
This will make sure that your dog associates the vibrating of the collar with negative actions and that if they stop doing that action they will get rewarded.
Here are some of our top picks for remote vibration training collars.
The GoodBoy mini remote collar is a sleek and beautiful design for a vibration collar. Usually, a training collar will have to have a bulky and garish look to it, much like an ankle tag, but the GoodBoy mini is slim and stylish.
Due to its small size and slim look, the collar is also very lightweight and will not be uncomfortable to wear around for smaller dogs, even dogs at around 5lbs will be comfortable wearing this collar.
As well as the collar, the remote is also designed to be sleek and user-friendly, it is a straightforward remote with no excessive buttons and a clear display. This clear display comes with a variety of useful features for training your dog.
The GoodBoy mini comes with a vibration mode and a sound mode, the sound mode only has one intensity level, however, the vibration mode has a brilliant variation of nine intensities.
Along with its design and useful features, this collar comes with a massive range of 1000ft which makes it perfect for both indoor and outdoor training.
The collar also uses the latest lithium battery technology which means that the battery life could last up to a week straight.
This is due to the collar’s battery-saving standby mode that activates automatically after 5 minutes of inactivity.
- Design – The GoodBoy mini has a sleek and beautiful design that not only looks good as a collar but is practical with being lightweight and comfortable for your dog.
- Features – This collar has both a sound feature and a vibration feature for training. The vibration feature has nine intensity levels so you can find the right one for your dog.
- Range – The GoodBoy mini is perfect for both indoor and outdoor training with a range of up to 1000ft.
- Battery life – Thanks to its high-tech battery technology and its standby mode that activates after five minutes of inactivity, this collar can last up to a week without charging.
- Only for small dogs – Because of its lightweight size and slim design, this training collar may not be effective on dogs over 15lbs.
Also found at:
- Small and Safe - This collar is as lightweight and safe as possible for small dogs while maintaining all the necessary functionality. Even 5 lb pets can wear this collar comfortably without feeling weighed down. Due to its small size and the removal of the shock feature, we can not guarantee that this collar is 100% effective on very stubborn dogs over 15 lbs.
- Simple and Beautiful Design - The sleek and modern remote for this collar has a velvety matte finish that feels incredible to the touch. The simple design is straight-forward with no excessive buttons or settings. A large display with clear symbols makes it easy to see the selected mode and switch between training modes and correction strength as needed.
- All the Training Modes and Features You Need - This collar comes with one intensity level for sound and nine levels for vibration mode. The remote works up to a range of 1000 feet, making it perfect for outdoor or indoor activities, and can control up to two collars (extra collar sold separately). Connecting a second collar to the remote is easy with the press of just one button.
- Long-Lasting Battery Life - This collar uses the latest lithium battery technology, providing battery life that lasts for at least a week. Just with a single charge, the battery can provide up to 16 hours worth of continuous corrections (each correction is 8 seconds or less each for your pet's safety). The collar also has a battery-saving standby mode that is activated after 5 minutes of inactivity.
- A Detailed Training Guide - Our collar comes with a step-by-step training guide explaining how to use the GoodBoy remote collar in a safe and efficient manner. This booklet teaches 15 important commands, offers insight in understanding your dog’s body language, and teaches the best ways to deal with stubborn dogs. To make sure you get the best results, the training guide also includes tips for ensuring that the training sticks.
Paipaitek’s training collar has a fantastic range of modes that are sure to help your dog on its way to becoming successfully trained. The collar comes with three training modes, vibration, sound, and sound & vibration.
The sound mode only has one level of intensity, however, both the vibration mode and the sound & vibration mode come with ten levels of intensity!
This collar can also last up to 20 days on a two-hour change depending on the frequency of your use.
The Paipaitek training collar is a brilliant collar for training outdoors as well, it has a long range of 1600ft that gives your dog free reign while still allowing you to keep a close eye and train accordingly.
One other feature that makes this product brilliant outdoors is that it is waterproof, not only does this help in the muddy and wet outdoors but this could also be utilized while training your dog during bathtimes.
- Features – The Paipaitek training collar has three different training modes, sounds, vibration, and sound & vibration. Both the vibration and sound & vibration training modes have ten different intensity settings that allow you to find the right intensity for your dog.
- Long-lasting – The battery on this collar can last up to 20 days with just a two-hour change making it very long-lasting and useful.
- Range – The Paipaitek training collar is fantastic for outdoor training due to its impressive range of up to 1600ft.
- Waterproof – Another feature that makes this collar so good for outdoor training is that it is waterproof. This also makes it useful for training in bath or shower settings.
- No on/off switch – The handheld transmitter does not have an on/off switch, running the risk of it accidentally going off when in your pocket and confusing your dog.
Also found at:
- NO SHOCK DOG TRAINING COLLAR - The vibration and sound are enough to attract his attention without hurting him. This is a great way to correct your dog's bad behavior and save your sanity!
- 10 LEVELS OF VIBRATION ADJUSTMENT - Sound and vibration dog collar can adjust the vibration level according to the dog's breed and temperament. no shock dog training collar is more suitable for deaf dogs, puppy, small, medium-sized dogs (4-60 pounds).
- UP TO 1600FT REMOTE RANGE & IPX7 WATERPROOF - No shock dog collar with remote up to 1600ft control range, easy to train your dog in the backyard, park and beach. 100% waterproof vibration dog collar lets your dog enjoy swimming and playing in the rain.
- UP TO 20 DAYS OF RECHARGEABLE BATTERY LIFE - 2 hours of full charge, the remote no-shock dog collar can work for 20 days, of course it depends on the frequency of your use.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY, BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - Our pet training collar are popular all over the world, We have a strong confidence that these training collar can help most of the pet owners to train the pets and correct some bad habits and behaviors . We ensure do our best to make 100% satisfied for all of you.
The Paws Furlosophy is another brilliant option for a remote dog collar that doesn’t come with a shock function. It instead has a number of features that can help grab your dog’s attention throughout their different senses.
This collar comes with training features such as vibration, sound, and also light. All three of these features are activated with three different, large buttons on the remote for a simple and user-friendly interface.
The vibration mode on the Paws Furlosophy has a huge range of intensities of 1-16 different intensity levels, allowing you to have full control over which vibration is good for your dog.
This collar also is fantastic for both indoor and outdoor training. The collar is waterproof, allowing your dog to be trained when swimming in lakes and rivers or on especially rainy and muddy days.
This can also be very useful when training your dog in a bath or shower setting. The Paws Furlosophy also has a huge range of 1950ft which adds to it being a fantastic training collar for outdoor training.
The interface on the remote of the Paws Furlosophy is also very user-friendly and simple, with just three buttons, it also comes with a neck strap so you are in no danger of losing the remote.
- 3 different modes – This collar has three different training modes that each target a different sense that your dog has. It has a sound mode, light mode, and vibration mode. The vibration mode has 1-16 different intensity settings to find the right intensity for your dog.
- Waterproof – This collar is great for outdoor training due to it being waterproof, allowing training in the rain, mud, and wetter areas. It can also be useful when training your dog in the bath or the shower.
- Range – The Paws Furlosophy has an immense range of 1900ft which is perfect for off-lead and outdoor training, your dog can go as far as it wants and still have you in control.
- Simple interface – The remote of the Paws Furlosophy has a very simple and easy-to-use interface that has a different, large button for every training mode. It can therefore be used without even having to look at it.
- Not for small dogs – This collar is not for dogs under 22lbs, this is largely due to its weight, it could be quite uncomfortable for smaller dogs.
Also found at:
- 1. Attention: Pls note, this no shock dog training collar is suitable for dogs over 6 months of age and within 22- 100 lbs weight.
- 2. 3 MODES DOGS TRAINER - 3 Efficient and safe training modes including Tone, 1-16 levels of adjustable Vibration and Light, allowing you to teach your puppy a range of commands and completely change the behavior with the simple click of a button. The remote with LED backlights display indicating the levels and battery status, find the most comfortable setting for your loved dogs.
- 3.No ELECTRICAL SHOCK AND IRRITATION - The non-electrical shock design does not harm your puppies, ensuring for healthy growth. IPX 7 WATERPROOF - IPX7 waterproof rating receiver with Durable ABS shell, TPU strap and tightly-sealed rubber plug on the charging hole, NO more worry about stepping into water, LET YOUR DOG ENJOY SUMMER'S COOOOL SWIMMING!
- 4.650 YARDS ULTIMATE WIDE RANGE , ABLE TO CONTROL 2 COLLAR RECEIVERS SIMULTANEOUSLY - Works under a extremely wide range up to 650 yards, 100% waterproof to work under rainy days, ideal for training in the yard, park, field with close-working dogs, hunting and swimming dogs. Able to control 2 collar receivers simultaneously
- 5.100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - 24h E-mail support with full care of your satisfaction, feel free to contact us if there is any issues with your order or the item.
Bark Training Collars
Bark training collars are simply training collars to stop dogs from barking excessively. This can be achieved with the remote collars by using them every time your dog barks, but there is an easier solution in these specified bark training collars.
These collars will listen to your dog’s bark and send a vibration signal or even an odor that the dog doesn’t like out of the collar.
This does two things, firstly it takes their attention away from whatever is causing them to bark, this is the main use of any training collar, to distract the dog from the negative action or behavior they are performing.
The second use of the bark collar is for the dog to associate barking with something negative. In doing this they should ultimately stop barking excessively and you will not need the collar anymore.
Let’s get into some of our top picks for shock-less bark training collars.
The PetSafe vibration bark control collar is a vibration collar that activates every time your dog barks.
It has a useful feature that means the vibrations will start at the lowest intensity on your dog’s first back, if your dog continues to bark then the intensity will get higher, pushing the dog to cease barking.
The collar has 10 intensity levels of vibration because the vibration could become uncomfortable to your dog if they are barking longer than a couple of minutes, PetSafe has a safety feature that automatically shuts the collar off after 80 seconds of vibration.
One problem with bark collars, in general, is that sometimes they will go off when outside and there are other loud noises around.
PetSafe has its patented Perfect Bark detection which ensures that the collar will only activate when it is your dog that is barking, making it a perfect collar for outdoor bark training.
Another feature that makes this collar great for outdoor use is that it is waterproof, this way you do not have to worry about your dog getting wet in rain or mud and the collar becoming defunct.
- Escalating vibration – The PetSafe vibration starts at the lowest intensity when your dog first barks and has a higher intensity if your dog keeps barking. Its intensity levels are 1-10, however, the collar has a feature that turns itself off after 80 seconds of vibrating for your dog’s safety and comfort.
- PetSafe perfect bark detection– This collar comes with the patented PetSafe perfect bark protection, meaning you do not have to worry about other dogs barking set off the collar, making it handy for outdoor training use.
- Waterproof – Your dog can wear this collar anywhere due to it being waterproof, you don’t have to worry about your dog running off in the rain or mud and the collar not working afterward.
- Not rechargeable – This collar isn’t rechargeable and runs on proprietary batteries that can be expensive. If you do purchase this collar, it is important to turn it off when it is not in use, such as at night when your dog is sleeping.
Also found at:
- 10 levels of vibration stimulation to eliminate or reduce excessive barking
- Patented Perfect Bark detection ensures another dog barking or other noises will not cause a false correction
- Waterproof collar submersible up to 5 feet for all of your dog's outdoor activities
- Collar begins with the lowest level of vibration and increases in correction level if the barking continues; Automatic safety shut off after 80 seconds
- Designed for dogs over 8 pounds; Fits neck sizes up to 28"
Sometimes, vibrations are not effective with certain dogs, this is all down to the individual dog and what works for them, the other option for bark collars is a collar that sprays an odor that dogs do not like instead of sending out a vibration.
This has the same proposed effect of the vibration collar, just a different method.
The PetSafe spray collar is a fantastic spray collar for training your dog not to bark excessively. When your dog barks, it will release a gentle spray every time your dog barks to distract your dog and have him associate the spray with excessive barking.
One of the best features of this collar is that it learns your dog’s bark, and will only release a spray when your dog barks and won’t be set off by other loud noises, not even other dogs.
This collar comes with a rechargeable battery that can charge the collar to max in just two hours and will hold a charge for up to 40 hours depending on usage.
This collar is also water-resistant, so you do not have to worry about your dog wearing it out in the rain, and PetSafe will also send you two spray cartridges with the collar, one of them unscented and the other citronella so you can see exactly what works for your dog.
- Learns your dog’s bark – This collar has built-in technology that learns exactly what your dog’s bark sounds like and only activates when it hears your specific bark. This allows you to train outside without the collar going off unnecessarily.
- Rechargeable battery – The battery life on this collar is up to 40 hours depending on usage after just a 2-hour recharge.
- Comes with two free cartridges – PetSafe sends two free cartridges with your collar, one scented with citronella and one unscented, so you can find out which spray works best for you and your dog.
- Requires cartridges – The desired goal with any of these bark collars is to not have to use them after a certain amount of time. However, with spray collars you will have to continue to buy cartridges for the time it is in use, this can become expensive after a time.
Also found at:
- SPRAY TO KEEP BARKING AWAY: Gentle bursts of spray distract your dog and deter him from continuing to excessively bark
- LEARNS YOUR DOG’S BARK: Our unique bark-sensing technology prevents outside noises like other dogs’ barking from causing a correction
- 2 SPRAY CARTRIDGES: Includes 2 spray refill cartridges in unscented and citronella; try them both to see which scent works best for your pet
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: The collar quickly recharges in just 2 hours (with the included USB charger) and holds a charge for up to 40 hours depending on use
- SIZING: Collar fits dogs 8 lb and up and fits pets with a neck size up to 27 in
If none of these collars are right for you then that is understandable, all dogs are different and unique and they will need different ways of training, that’s why we’ve put together this brief buyer’s guide to help you choose the best training collar for your unique pooch.
What Are You Training Your Dog To Do (Or Bot Do)?
This is the first question you need to ask yourself when buying a training collar, if you are simply wanting to train your dog to not bark then you could do this with a remote collar.
However, a bark collar will be easier for you as it works automatically and is constantly in range.
If you are looking for more general training, then a remote collar will be best as you can choose when your dog is doing something that they need to stop doing.
Where Will You Be Training?
If you are only house-training your dog then you won’t need to worry much about waterproof collars or collars with large ranges.
However, if you are looking to train your dog outdoors or among other dogs, then it will be best to look at collars with large ranges and waterproofing.
This will also be a good question to ask for yourself when looking at remote interfaces, do they have a simple interface that can be easily used by you in the cold and rain?
What Stimulates Your Dog?
There are many different types of training collars on the market that deal with different senses and stimuli for your dog. If you know your dog is stimulated more by smell and taste, a spray collar may be a good idea.
If you are unsure what your dog is stimulated most by, a lot of remote collars will have different modes for you to observe which ones work best with your dog.
How Big Is Your Dog?
This is an obvious question to ask when buying any collar, you need to get the right size for your dog.
However, with training collars, especially vibrating collars, you need to see if the vibrating intensity will be enough to stimulate your dog.
The more intensity levels a collar has, it usually has a better range of dog sizes it can stimulate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Remote Collars Better Than Bark Collars?
It all depends on what you’re using them for. Remote collars can be used for a variety of behaviors and actions and are way more versatile.
However, if you are training your dog not to bark, bark collars will be easier as they are automatic and always in range.
Do Vibrating Collars Hurt Dogs?
They do not, vibrating collars are designed to be slightly uncomfortable but not bring any pain to your dog.
Usually, if the collar vibrates automatically, like in a bark collar, the vibrating will shut off after a while so as not to be too uncomfortable for your dog.