When you look at the Doberman, you may be intimidated because of their serious appearance, compact muscles, and agility. Their stance gives them a height ranging from 24 to 28 inches tall. They generally offer good companionship with people who fall in love with them in return. That’s why they also consider having those dog breeds that look like Dobermans.
As we go along, we will give you the list of those dogs that have a similar appearance with that of the Dobermans. Let us try to get to know them one by one and discover their unique traits and temperaments. But before we dig in, let us first meet the Doberman Pinscher!
Getting to Know the Doberman Pinscher
It was in the late 19th century when the Doberman Pinschers were introduced in Germany. The main purpose of breeding them is generally to work as guard dogs. Moreover, their lineage is not actually clear. However, many believed that the Doberman is a combination of many breeds such as the Black and Tan Terrier, Rottweiler, and the German Pinscher.
Generally, the Doberman has a prestige look having a sleeky coat and athletic body build. This dog breed is actually involved in most police and military forces, guard families, canine sports, and companions. Give credits to their high levels of energy and intelligence.
In order to provide them with good rest, it is better to set a designated place for the Doberman inside your home. As much as possible, try to make it big and spacious for them to relax well.
Other Information about the Dobermans
- Generally, if you do not know this dog breed, you may think that they are fierce and that you tend to fear them a lot. Since they look extremely aggressive, the Dobermans are formidable guard dogs. However, they are very gentle and loving for those people around them. Actually, they are not troublesome but they are fearless enough to protect their family once the danger is around.
- The Doberman really love to be recognized as a member of the family. They are highly reliable dog breed. Aside from that, even the guests can trust them provided that they are treated well.
- If you are looking for the right dog for you, think twice before you grab a Doberman Pinscher. Bear in mind that this dog is not appropriate for all even if it has lots of positive traits. Their size is too big and weighs at an average of about 60 to 80 pounds. Usually, they require lots of exercise because of being active.
- Basically, the Doberman Pinscher tends to get bored easily and to keep them away from this, provide them with lots of mental challenges. Moreover, a strong leader or trainer is a big help to socialize and train this dog breed properly. Yet, if you are having a more relaxed life, the Doberman is not the right breed for you as you may find them too hard to manage.
- Compared to their introductory look, the most updated appearance of the Doberman Pinscher is slimmer. In addition to that, their temperament seems to soften a little bit than their early days.
Good Features of the Dobermans
- This dog breed has basically an extremely high level of energy
- One of the best household guard dogs as they are generally protective
- The Doberman Pinscher has a high sensitivity to cold and requires proper shelter during the winter season
- A great family dog, the Doberman always thrive to do any family activities once they’re in
- Claimed the reputation of a vicious dog, most neighbors and intruders may fear the Doberman despite its sweet trait
The Size of the Dobermans
Generally, the male Doberman Pinscher has a height of around 26 to 28 inches. Meanwhile, the height of their female counterpart stands on 24 to 26 inches. However, both sexes of the Dobermans have a weight range of about 60 to 80 pounds. Yet, you may notice that the males come a little bit bigger than the females.
List of Dog Breeds that Look Like Dobermans
Have you ever heard or seen this dog breed? Actually, the Australian Kelpie is not a popular breed. Yet, the Kelpies are the dog breeds that look like Dobermans in terms of the body shape. Additionally, the Kelpies have sleeker hair and bigger faces.
The ears of these dog breeds that look like Dobermans are generally pointed and large. They also have a happy face. You can also observe the Australian Kelpie to have a strong work ethic. Due to this, the Australian Kelpies can do various tasks because of their cleverness.
Another dog breeds that look like Dobermans are the Beauceron that originally came from France. They basically work as a herding dog that focuses on sheep and cattle within the farm. And due to their obedience and intelligence, the Beauceron worked on French men by taking messages during the World Wars.
How they look similar with the Doberman Pinscher? Generally, they have the same pointed ears, coat color, slender coat, and size. But, the Beauceron tends to be more muscular and longer hairs compared to the Dobermans. Another thing that makes them unique from the Dobermans is their balanced power and speed.
German Shorthaired Pointer
If you are still looking for dog breeds that look like Dobermans, the German Shorthaired Pointer is a good inclusion on the list. Just like the Dobermans, this German-bred canine also has sleek and short hair. However, to distinguish the German Shorthair from the Dobermans, you should check their coat and the ears.
Basically, the coat of this dog breed has liver-spots and the color ranges from gray, brown, and cream. Aside from that, instead of having pointed ears like the Dobermans, the German Shorthair has soft and floppy ears. They are full of attentiveness and very loving to the family members.
In case you have a moment to look at the Miniature Pinscher, you will definitely say that they are dog breeds that look like Dobermans. The only difference is that this dog breed is in miniature size. In fact, the maximum size of the Miniature Pinscher is only around 13 inches. Initially, the purpose of breeding this dog breed is to be a ratter. But, in order to achieve the preferred traits and size of the Dobermans, this dog breed was crossbred with other breeds.
However, when you own the Miniature Pinscher, you will never get to have the noble characteristics of the Dobermans. On the contrary, this dog breed has a fearless attitude which will generally result in small dog syndrome. But, the Miniature Pinscher is the perfect choice if you opt for the spirit and look of a Doberman in a smaller version.
The Pharaoh hound is basically the oldest dog breeds which were bred in Egypt 5,000 years ago. They were generally used for the Pharaohs and also used as fast hunters. The unique features of the Pharaoh hound are their thin face, tall stance, and sharp ears. However, standing about 23 to 25 inches tall, this dog breed is basically shorter than the Dobermans but they are also powerful.
If you do not know this dog breed, you might have a not so good reputation about them. But, with proper training, these dog breeds that look like Dobermans would not be that aggressive to strangers. Their black and tan markings are the key features that make them closely similar with the Dobermans.
Aside from that, they also have the same temperaments as that of the Dobermans. On the other hand, the body of the Rottweiler has solid muscles, large heads, and short legs. Because of their intelligence, the Rottweiler tends to be independent thinkers and aloof for some time. They are also a loyal and very loving dog.
Vizsla is one of those dog breeds that look like Dobermans but with a height of 22 to 25 inches tall. Yet, if you look at their temperaments, these two breeds seem to be closely the same. It was in Hungary where they were originally bred and worked as retriever and pointer dog. Generally, they are very affectionate and want to spend time with their family.
If you still want to know dog breeds that look like Dobermans, check for the Weimaraner. This dog breed has the same appearance as that of the German Shorthaired Pointer and Doberman Pinscher. Their entire body is covered with silver-gray coating. The Weimaraner worked primarily as a hunting dog but wants to be a part of the family in today’s time.
Moreover, this dog breed has an affectionate character and always looks for ways to get close with the family surrounding them. However, the Weimaraner still choose outdoor activities where they are able to run miles.
Dog breeds that look like Dobermans are generally those having a prestige appeal. Aside from that, they should also have nobility and great stance to make them stand out from the rest. However, the Doberman Pinscher is a one-of-a-kind dog which is really distinct. But, in case they are not a perfect fit for you, you may consider other dog breeds that tend to be the same with the Dobermans.